Many people know some of the film and television studios in Borehamwood and Elstree. Many more will know the name “Elstree Studios”, but may also assume it applies to various different studios.
The Elstree Project focuses on the six major film and television studios in Borehamwood and Elstree. From the A1 heading west towards Elstree the studios are:
- MGM British Studios (built as Amalgamated Studios).
- British and Dominion’s Imperial Studios.
- Elstree Studios (also well known as ABPC and (Thorn) EMI, though also originally known by British (Inter)national Pictures).
- Elstree Centre (built as Neptune Studios, but also well known as Fairbanks Studios, ATV Elstree and now extant as BBC Elstree Centre).
- Gate Studios built next to the train station (also known as Whitehall).
- Danziger’s New Elstree Studios.
Only Elstree Studios and BBC Elstree Centre continue to operate into the 21st Century, but Sky are opening a new studio near to the A1 in 2022.